Interesting Things About The Number 11 in Entertainment and Culture
- In the United Kingdom and Ireland, elevenses is a snack that is similar to afternoon tea, but eaten in the morning at around 11 am.
- Soccer, cricket, American football and field hockey are all played with teams of 11 players on the field. Also, the Jersey Number 11 has been retired by several North American sports teams in honor of past playing greats or other key figures.
- There is no '11' card in a deck of cards. (8, 9, 10, Jack, Queen). In the game of blackjack, an Ace can be counted as either one or eleven, whichever is more advantageous for the player.
- In the Netherlands the day before Lent begins is Carnival day which is referred to as Vastenavond or Fast Eve. Preparations begin the previous year on 11th day of the 11th month, when a council of 11 meet to organize the plans. Traditionally there the number 11 is the number for fools, and during Carnival people are allowed to be as foolish as they wish. At this time dances are popular, parades and masquerade balls. In each town someone is elected prince of the Carnival and he is handed the keys to the city.
- The record number of Oscar awards for any one movie is 11. Three films share the record: the 1952 epic Ben-Hur, Titanic (1997), and Lord of The Rings: The Return of The King (2003) each have each won 11 out of a possible 17 Oscars (nominated in 12 and 11 categories respectively). Laurence Olivier was nominated 11 times (10 for acting roles) during his career - a record only surpassed recently by Jack Nicholson with his 12th acting nomination in 2002.
The Ellen DeGeneres Show was first launched in September 2003 and was nominated for 11 Daytime Emmy Awards in its first season.
On May 26, 2010, Ellen announced on her show that she was starting her own record label entitled "eleveneleven". Ellen explained her choice of name, claiming that she often sees the number 11:11 when looking at her clocks; and also the fact that she first saw Greyson Chance's (later signed to the label) Paparazzi cover on May 11, 2010 . Also, she states that 11 is Greyson's soccer jersey number. In November 2011 (11/11), Secretary of State Hillary Clinton named her a Special Envoy for Global AIDS Awareness.
The number 11 in Mathematics & Computers
The number 11 in Science & Technology
The number 11 in Religion & Spirituality
The number 11 in History & Politics
The number 11 in Celestial Events & Time
The Number Eleven
Next Page: The Number Eleven in Science and Technology